My Website

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Front Cover Prototype

The first prototype of my magazine shows nothing but the main lay out, which was inspired by the music magazine Q. The layout of Q magazine has a slick and bold look, which is what i wanted to portray with my magazine. Because of the genre of music I have chosen I didn't want the magazine to be 'wishy washy' and get lost in all the other bold music magazines out there.

To make the magazine more bold I made sure that the title of the magazine was at the top and centre so my target audience can see the name clearly. I also wanted the snippets down the side to be in like and consistent with one another, then having a quote from the artist on the cover at the bottom in bold. This would allow the audience to have their attention drawn away from the usual snippets from the inside and allow them to clearly see what is special and unique about this magazine this week/month.


For my magazine, I also needed to think about the name. The name of my magazine needs to be compatible with todays audience, but also a name that works with the the genres I've picked. Going around with a list of possible magazine names, I asked a numerous amount of people with varied ages between 15 and 21. This was their response:

Fret Not - 2
Indie Rock - 2
Indie Rokk - 5
Passion on the Block - 0
Pioneering - 0
Feedback - 0
Acappella - 1
Dynamic - 0
Riff - 2
Mezzo - 1

This is the prototype of my music magazine. I have used inspiration from other music magazines, such as Q, to help out with the layout and overall design.

The title name I thought about for a while, but decided to stick to the genre of music for the title, to make it clear to buyers and readers. I wanted the title to match the genre of music and appeal to my target market and target age, which is 15-34 year olds. This is because these ages are most popular with other music magazines, such as Q and Kerrang! that have been previously studied. Also, this genre of music is growing ever more popular with the population.

For the colouring of the magazine I decided to use the bold colours of black and white, then adding a little colour to the eyes of the musician on the front. This give the magazine a dramatic but professional look, as too much colour could relate to another genre, such as pop.

What i would change about this prototype however is the layout of the writing so that it doesn't cover the artists face as some of the writing can't be read and so making it look unprofessional. I would also move the circle sticker further down, or even maybe change sides to give each side more balance. Lastly, I would also change how close the mid-shot of the artist is, so it will give more importance to the artist and not the writing around the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment