My Website

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?



Going back to my 'Publishers' post earlier in the course, I decided that Bauer would be the best institution to publish my magazine due to the fact that they published the magazine Q (which is the magazine I chose to get inspiration for layout from) and are a very successful publisher. 

I studied various other magazine publishers that could have been good for my magazine. Such as, Green Chilly Media produced a number of acoustic instrument magazines and would have been ideal because indie, rock and folk all use acoustic instruments at some point. The reason why I didn't pick Green Chilly Media or Volcano publishings is because they are an independent publishing company and therefor don't have the experience or money that is needed to make my magazine be able to run along side NME, Q and other big music magazine names. 
IPC is similar to Bauer Publishings but doesn't produce as many music magazines as Bauer. The reason why I picked Bauer is because they have more experience in publishing music magazines that IPC. Bauer is a highly successful magazine distributor with one of it's best seller selling over 745,000 copies a month.
Also, this magazine is highly based around acoustic sound and artists, a niche market that needs to be filled by a highly successful magazine publisher such as Bauer.


I then go on to who would publish my magazine. In my 'Publishers' post I went through a few of many places that could easily distribute my music magazine, these including superstores such as Tesco or Asda, and smaller but more spread out businesses like WHSmith. I went with WHSmith because although Tescos/Asda get thriving business all year round, people are more interested in buy their weekly food than buying a magazine. Where as WHSmith, or businesses like WHSmith, gets all year round customers and people go to these stores for more niche needs such as books, stationary or magazines. Also, WHSmith sell a large range of magazines so it would be the ideal place to sell my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment